Week 36 - February 13 -19, 2014
Countdown continues! The beginning of this week marked ONE MONTH until our "due date"!
I don't know if a week of my pregnancy has ever flown by so quickly! I woke up so excited to hit 36 weeks and the one month to due date mark and now as I type from 37 weeks it is with wide eyes as I semi-frantically wonder where last week went?!? I am grateful that I wasn't so miserable that I counted down each day...really, I am feeling pretty crummy...the week just still managed to fly by! Yikes!
Obligatory reality check?
Rings still fit! I seemed to hit 36 weeks and ballooned in the feet/ankle/cankle department, but most of the time I can still fit into my danskos. And the day those felt tight my sneakers were a wonderful friend. It practically happened overnight - and they aren't terrible every day, I just have to make an effort to put my feet up from time to time. Heartburn? Nah, not really. I want to give my lower back a big hug for being so cooperative and such a trooper! I think I am starting to get the end of the pregnancy cheeks, but have not deemed myself unrecognizable or beyond embarassingly chipmunky yet! I'll take it! So overall? Uber uber pregnant, but hanging in there!
I had told myself that if I fell apart after 36 weeks eh. Because really, at that point you have quite the countdown going! This week was absolutely full of fun things and picture worthy fun, so here goes!
We had a MEGA, epic snowfall! The biggest snowfall here in four years and probably the biggest snowfall that I've ever experienced somewhere that I actually lived. (The years we were in NJ as kids we didn't have crazy snow). We've definitely visited snow (Vermont!, Iceland!, Switzerland and Austria and igloos!, etc), but I had never lived somewhere with that much. The first day was sooo much fun! Daniel and I played and played with the puppies and really enjoyed the powdery snow - we got about 22 inches and then some - it was awesome! Really, the first few days were exciting! Daniel shoveled the driveway for the first time in his life and we had snow piled up to our waists all over the neighborhood - even higher in some spots! I was SO grateful that Daniel's mom had brought up Stephanie's snow boots for me to borrow when she brought the crib because they were a life saver as I tromped around in the snow with the puppies.
![]() |
| Lots of snow and still snowing! |
![]() |
| Holly out trying to make her own path the first morning |
![]() |
| Snow wrestling :) |
![]() |
| Puppies heading out to check out the snow in the back yard! |
![]() |
| Blurry yes, but hilarious. I feel like she is an alligator swimming in the snow! |
![]() |
| Back porch mid morning - still snowing! |
![]() |
| Daniel shoveling snow! Yes...we don't own a legit shovel, but this worked! |
![]() |
| Chance playing rope and Holly bounding! So cute! |
The biggest issue was that after the first three or four days we started having issues with Holly feeling comfortable going to the bathroom in the snow, I was exhausted from hauling my 9 months pregnant self through the calf to knee high snow drifts for quarter of a mile walks to try to encourage the puppies to go outside, and at night the slightly melted snow would freeze over, creating level of snow that the dogs could run on and that would support my weight some of the time. So each step I took was unpredictable - I might break through and sink down a foot or more, I might not. With each step. But if I didn't walk there Holly wouldn't go. AHHHH. We had a rough couple of frustrating days and I was absolutely exhausted. On a plus side, the roads were impressively clear by the afternoon of day 2 after the snowfall. We were amazed at how well and how quickly our area cleared everything and made it all driveable. (And as we headed into week 37 the sun came out enough that we can walk the sidewalks again and see some grass and she's back to her normal self, whew! It's so much easier to just go for a walk! I realized I wasn't lazy...it was just that the types of walks we were having to take were very physically draining! Simple walk? Sure!)
![]() |
| They play so well together! |
![]() |
| Holly loves it! All the pics of Chance were out takes...he's not a fan of the camera |
![]() |
| Our beautiful little lady! |
![]() |
| Holly is definitely a snow dog |
For Valentine's Day we stayed in and enjoyed a three course meal together. We made cheese fondue, cooked meats and potstickers in a broth fondue, and then had one of our favorite desserts - a whipped chocolate mousse that I make topped with berries and pomegranate seeds. Yum! And we started indulgently watching the second season of House of Cards too! Fun!
![]() |
| Mmmm cheese fondue! |
![]() |
| Second course! Yummy dinner! |
For Saturday night we did part two of Valentine's Day - a date night to one of our favorite restaurants - Seasons 52 (they have one in Bethesda but are building one ten minutes away!!!) and then saw Ann-Sophie Mutter perform at the Kennedy Center (she's a world renown violinist that Daniel was super excited to see). It was a lovely night out! We had visited the Kennedy Center for the first time about a month prior...and this time I must have looked that much more pregnant because I had attendants ushering me to special elevators and priority restrooms! Haha.
![]() |
| Our Valentine is still cooking! |
![]() |
| View from the second balcony in the Kennedy Center |
![]() |
| View of DC from the terrace |
Sunday we met Meredith for lunch and somehow managed to talk her into helping us assemble some of the baby gear we had sitting in boxes (she loves puzzles and building things...win! cause Daniel really doesn't!) The day was a huge success, although once everything was assembled and we saw how much room it all took up Daniel and I did look at each other with wide eyes haha. I was so grateful Meredith helped though, because Daniel HATES assembling things and gets frustrated really easily, but when it is a project with friends it's fun and silly and full of laughter - and the day ended up being just that. Whew! And? The baby gear is awesome, I am thrilled with how it all looks!
![]() |
| Daniel, play yard Sherpa... |
![]() |
| And turtle. |
![]() |
| We laughed a lot... |
![]() |
| Tada! Beautiful pack and play with a sturdy changing station for the living room! Yay! |
![]() |
| Stroller, check! |
![]() |
| Daniel is watching...check! |
![]() |
| Holy goodness. Thanks graco. This is supposed to be a bouncer glider combo... Yikes! |
![]() |
| Daniel playing with dog toys, Meredith hard at work...hmmm. |
![]() |
| Baby gear! Hooray! The glider/bouncer combo is from my parents! Yay parents! |
![]() |
| Oh dear. |
Monday I had a doctors appointment and they confirmed it - yep, I had taken on some fluid and packed on quite a few pounds out of no where in the week since they had seen me. (But my feet were definitely evidence of as much). So they did a NST (non-stress test) just to make sure everything with Hannah was still good and she was perfect! I loved getting to listen to her heartbeat for twenty full minutes and watching her heartrate go up whenever she kicked or shifted or wiggled. It stayed between 140-165 the entire time. Everything else looked great, blood pressure was excellent, so they just dismissed it as the pre-baby fluid phenomenon for now. I'm trying to drink extra amounts of water, but really there's only so much I can do.
Tuesday night we met up with Meredith and saw the Lego movie - what a cute and wonderful film! Really! It was excellent! Wednesday Meredith came over for dinner and we got into pretty serious trip planning/dreaming mode. This is the longest I have gone without traveling in almost a decade and Daniel and I have been chatting about trying to go somewhere mid summer. Crazy? Maybe...but I think we will never know until we try! It would be different and challenging, but I think we could still have fun! ...We'll see.
![]() |
| Very fun Valentines package from Daniel's mom! The thong rammed pieces on the left were a gift from her friend Kay! Isn't it all so pretty! Super excited! |
So....36 weeks and staying busy! We're trying to make the most of getting to go out and do things while we can (like catching a movie) and are doing our best to enjoy the time we have together! Things are getting harder, but knowing I am almost there make it easier. I have a few more things I need to do, so I have told Hannah I need to make it past 38 weeks...but really if we could make it to 39 I will be an extremely happy camper! (So far so good!)






























No comments:
Post a Comment