Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

From Week 7 to 8 - Skele-gro and my DNA builder

Week 7 - July 25 - 31

 

It's tricky...because in some ways I feel much better than I worriedly anticipated I might feel. You hear so many horror stories about the first trimester -- one of our close friends couldn't even brush her teeth without puking...for months. So, I was definitely bracing myself for the worst. (Which may still be around the bend). But honestly? So far I am very pleasantly surprised. And incredibly grateful!


Daniel thinks I am not doing well - but in comparison to the first trimester hell I envisioned I think I am doing great. And then I remember that...oh yeah, I guess on Saturday morning I did spend the majority of the morning with my head on the kitchen table because holding it up was too much work, or oh yeah, on Sunday I really did feel terrible...pretty much all day - I felt nauseous and struggled to eat throughout the day and had slept funny and pulled something in my neck.


And ZOMG the day of the itch...
I have always been prone to being a bit itchy, like I know when it has been more than 24 hours since my last Zyrtec because the itch creeps in. So right away even in week 4 by nighttime I was struggling with a wave of itchiness at bed time. I slapped some topical benedryl on...and sometimes hydrocortisone if I was desperate and would call it good. It has flared up here and there, but has mainly been in check...but today....ZOMG! I think I might lose my mind. As one thing calms down something else itches...my calves...my hand and fingers...my quads...the arms...my hamstrings...my scalp... I am losing it. Itching is seriously the most maddening thing - and throw in some bouts of nauseous and Chance puking just as we sat down for dinner beside the dinner table. Wednesday was a struggle.

 

So to recap...so far pregnancy is not as hellish as I envisioned it could be, in fact I am incredibly happy! But...when I think about it realistically - I feel pretty crappy and most days are a challenge. There, I admitted it.


But back to the exciting stuff...
This week there have been all kinds of cool developments for Baby Hals - the baby's bones have been growing, hardening, joints are starting to work - really cool stuff! Makes me think that my body is feeding Baby Hals his/her own little dose of Skele-gro :)

Besides the bones, all kinds of other cool things are happening - the mouth, lips, nose, genitals, are all taking form and in the next two weeks the muscles form too. When I thought about the bones forming and then the muscles and how it made a lot of sense that it would need to happen one step at a time I started picturing my uterus as the DNA rebuilder from Fifth Element - only Leeloo was built in like...90 seconds and Baby Hals is going to take 9 months...still pretty cool!

Grow Baby, Grow!

No comments: