Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Telling the Family!

Monday, July 1st and Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013

We were going to try to wait to tell the family. Really we were. But it's such a hard secret to keep!!! We would have told our friends...but we found out Sunday and just enjoyed knowing between the two of us for the day. Monday we told the family, Tuesday Tom came to visit, and Wednesday we headed to the Keys for the Fourth of July weekend - so really, we wouldn't see our friends until the following week. And, considering we had to tell all of our family members over the phone/online we want to get to tell somebody in person!

So Monday night Daniel got home and he said "So HOW long am I going to have to wait to tell people?!, because this is really hard!" We started chatting about whether we would be able to tell our families in person and it was just going to be tooooo many weeks before we could make it home. So we started chatting about how we would want to tell them...and then I got an idea. I pulled together a video clip that looked like our "anniversary story" kinda video and progressed through me telling Daniel, his reaction, etc. It was one minute, quick, snappy, had an element of surprise, and we thought it would do the trick. We pulled it together and decided to just go for it.

Our video - (this is the original we later made one that more updated photos)
Daniel's mom - we started out by texting Michael and Stephanie and asking if one of them could set up face time on that end for us. Then we emailed her a link to this video. I think the face time gave it away - but still! It was still exciting and everyone was really happy on the other line!

Daniel's dad was at work, so Daniel decided to just text his dad the link to the video clip and say hey - check out what we made. Given that Daniel and his dad have been playing with making different video clips and photos lately, this really wasn't out of place at all. He was caught off guard. Actually I think the first text back was "Wow" (in a very good way!)

My parents - I was really worried that emailing them the video clip would ruin the surprise...but I really wanted to use it! So...I emailed both parents the link and called mom after I thought dad would be home from work. They were on speaker phone but didn't know it. I told them to use dad's phone to stream the funny video I had made. OF COURSE it had to buffer JUST before they were going to get to the good part - we had to wait for them to start the whole video over - I was practically shaking on the other end, but in the end it went perfectly and their reaction was awesome - they were thrilled!

 


It was late, we were exhausted, and so we decided to tackle telling the siblings until the next day. Daniel emailed Emily and copied me on it - similar to what he did with his dad. Within a few hours we got an email from Emily saying something along the lines of "just watched this at my desk at work and literally shouted out OH MY GOD!"

I messaged Pam and Ali with the video link through facebook, again anxiously waiting for them to click on the link with no avail. Eventually it was day time in India and I promptly heard from Pam, who was also incredibly excited and later that night finally heard from Ali who had been at work all day and watched the video with Brad when she got home.

 

Tuesday night I had to pick Tom up from the airport (Daniel's cousin) for the trip we were making to the Florida Keys from Wednesday - Sunday. We figured there was pretty much no way to not tell Tom. Think about it...hey Tom, we know you came down for a dive trip but Beth isn't diving, oh yeah, Beth isn't drinking, oh yeah, Beth snacks all the time, oh yeah, Beth has to pee all the time... yeah, like he wouldn't have figured all of that out. So we told him too!

No comments: