Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2015

19 Weeks! Is Lil' Hals 2.0 a Miss or Mister? One of each or is Daniel outnumbered?!?

I have been counting down the days until our anatomy scan for weeks!  To sweeten the deal, we told all of our parents (the grands) that we didn't have the appointment until after Thanksgiving, when we technically knew we were going to find out the day before Thanksgiving!  It was also fun to keep it as our own sweet surprise for a day before sharing it with everyone!

We had a particularly crazy and stressful Monday and Tuesday - which majorly eclipsed my excitement or having any time to really even think about the anatomy scan before the big day!  But it had been weighing on my mind for weeks - I was so anxious to just know!  Would we have one of each or would we have two sweet girls?  Would we have an evenly divided household or would Daniel be forever outnumbered?  

While I had my hunches based on food aversions and cravings and how they compared/contrasted to my pregnancy with Hannah, I genuinely did not know what to expect!  Everyone says that every pregnancy is different.  I saw so many positives and opportunities within each option.  I think the uniqueness that comes with having one of each is pretty obvious - I have always envied the dynamics between brothers and sisters on some level and thought it could be so neat for Hannah to have that.  But then, if we had two girls!  Hannah would have a sister to not just be her sibling but to share all the challenges of being a female with as well - and we wouldn't be done with the beautiful, adorable clothes and bows!  Some days I really really wanted one of each and some days all I could imagine was two sweet little girls.  

And so we headed to our 9 am appointment on Wednesday morning!  We brought Hannah with us, because there wasn't enough time to bring her to daycare and make it back (not that I didn't want to include her, but I knew she wasn't quite ready to really understand and enjoy the appointment yet).  Daniel patiently sat off to the side and was amazing with Hannah and she was doing great and sitting quietly on his lap in the little room.   He made it about 15-20 minutes before resorting to the iPad...and that's where we went wrong.  When her attempts to watch Daniel Tiger on Netflix failed it was mayday!  We asked the technician if she could skip ahead to the gender part so they could leave.  

Throughout the appointment my focus continually flipped from hoping Daniel could keep Hannah happy and stay for the visit and being transfixed by the opportunity to see our little 2.0!  I continually breathed a sigh of relief and thankfulness as the technician said the brain looked great, the four chambers of the heart looked great, stomach, bladder, major vessels, kidneys, etc, all looked normal (aka perfectly formed!)  So so amazing!  The only disappointment was that while the technician was kind enough, she was rather void of personality and seemed very focused on checking off her list, not necessarily trying to get a good picture of the baby's face or pausing for a moment to let me enjoy the profile or face pictures.  With Hannah we were spoiled by an amazingly charismatic technician who challenged herself to get "the best" picture possible.  

But back to our story - Hannah was starting to lose it (she had had an especially clingy/whiny morning and had done really well in the waiting room already).  So the technician thankfully obliged and went ahead to check for gender and.......  

We are the proud parents of a beautifully growing Lil' MISS 2.0 and are absolutely thrilled! 
We're having a girl!

Both ultrasounds were at exactly 19 weeks to the day!
Lil' Miss 2.0 is the top photo, Hannah is the bottom photo - both girls are 19 weeks to the day!

Hannah is on the left side, Lil' Miss 2.0 is on the right side

Our collection of bows and ribbons and dresses will only continue to expand and we can go ahead and give up on gender neutral baby gear!  :)  

And if Daniel's family's superstition on names is any indicator - Daniel once again had hated every single boy's name I proposed and yet, he was able to recall one of my all time favorite girl's names long before we found out the gender.  We're still trying it out, but we may have already picked out her first name!  

I honestly cannot believe how much more real knowing the gender has made everything!  Daniel and I were talking last night and I said something about "someday when we take the girls across the world..." and he looked at me and was like "the girls..." as he processed hearing me say that for the first time. Yep!  Our sweet little girls!!!  :)  

No comments: