Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

32 weeks! And Hannah has Evolved into a Rocky Monster

Week 32 - January 16 - 22, 2014

32 Weeks! ? ! Holy cow! In my head this was another landmark week (I think I process things in 4 week increments), but somehow, hitting 32 weeks and having two months to go seemed like a pretty big deal.

32 Weeks!  Hannah's still growing in there!


In the midst of my thirty-second week something in my brain switched over and I very suddenly and overwhelmingly, for the first time of my pregnancy had a moment of "one more month of this would be totally reasonable and I could rock it, but two more months of this seems utterly depressing and overwhelming and I don't know what I am going to do!" That sentiment has only been compounded by a very sudden desire to get to meet and hold my Hannah. Where did all this come from? I have no idea! I am less comfortable than I was...things ache more, Hannah is just plain big in there and not all of her movements feel sweet and fun anymore, and I really miss being able to move around like a normal human being (like...being able to tie my shoes without employing multiple strategies/angles and I am SO tired of hearing myself breathe all the time), but I would not define myself as miserable yet, just restless maybe? Oh...and while the ligaments around my belly are not intensely spasming anymore, I can only walk so far or do so much without my lower back getting uncomfortably tight and everything around my belly being sore. Comparably, on the message board that I am following (full of ladies due in March) I am one of the pregnant ladies who is doing really well! (And in my head and in terms of perspective I know I am too, it's just daunting to think about all of these things exponentially compounding for eight more weeks!) Luckily as week 32 has progressed I have slowly but surely managed to put my restlessness aside and adjust my perspective. Back to trying to enjoy her wiggles and jabs and getting to prepare a nursery for my sweet little one!

And I keep reminding myself each week of how many things I have going well and am still super crazy grateful! Rings still fit (actually kinda loose!), ankles/legs slightly more swollen now that I am in the third tri but my shoes still fit with ease! (really, I'm amazed at how not swollen my ankles are so far...I think they looked worse than this by Friday afternoons after a full week of teaching), no chipmunk cheeks yet!, I'll take it!

There have been a few physical challenges this week. My lower back starting to get tight when I am on my feet too long is one thing. The beautiful snowfall we had would be another - think your snow clothes limit your mobility? think being eight months pregnant limits your mobility? Combine them and you have a huffy puffy disaster who looks pretty ridiculous venturing out into the snowdrifts with her two puppies at 11 o'clock at night for their before bed walk. And third, Hannah turned into a rock monster this week. You know that rocky creature from Fantastic Four? Yeah, that's my baby. At some point this week she transitioned from being sweet and squirmy to being hard and pointy and pretty uncomfortable in there. When I touch my belly I can feel various bony parts of her (I'm still not that great at identifying exactly what) - she is head down already, so I think it's spine, bottom, and long legs, but good grief. When I had my checkup and they asked if she was still moving around a lot they definitely laughed when I told them my baby had transformed into a rock monster (I explained further). Then, the first day of 33 weeks I got the onslaught of emails about the size and weight of the baby, etc and sure enough - her bones are hardening! She really IS turning into a rocky, bony monster in there - I am resting assured that she is far cuter than the Thing. Maybe as she continues to develop fatty padding we'll both be happier? Maybe not.
This about sums it up...only give her a cute face and throw a bow on that head...

We have also stayed busy this week (surprised?). We had dinner at the Kunkles on Thursday night and enjoyed spending time with them in their beautiful new home! On Friday my college roomie, Cynthia, and her boyfriend Peter came to visit for dinner - it was super exciting to see her and we are very excited at the prospect of them being reasonably close! (They live in Northern VA, so a bit of a hike, but not impossible!) And then on Saturday night we hosted some of the crew from Daniel's work that we had gone bowling with the previous week and enjoyed getting to know everyone better! Sunday we took the puppies to the park for a nice two mile walk and I FINALLY got Daniel to Baby's R Us to get his opinion on strollers - and surprise, surprise, he had strong opinions. (I knew he would!)

The other exciting thing about this week is that we have been in major baby gear mode. (Okay, correction I have been in major baby gear mode). I sent Daniel "the list" of the things we really needed to get and asked if there was any benefit to waiting/if we needed to space purchases out, etc and was told that since it was all needed in the next two months to just buy things as I wanted. Woohoo! Green light! (So thankful we sold the house and can now pick up what we need!) So I have been steadily shopping for sales and working on figuring out what the best deals are - the most exciting find so far? The pack and play that I wanted was evidently from the "premium line" and the pattern was the 2013 pattern...so now it is being discontinued as 2014 rolls out - guess who snagged the 2013 pattern on clearance? Me! And then when I switched up our travel system picks based on Daniel's picky preferences, guess what I found was also being offered in the same discontinued 2013 pattern with some extra "premium" features - the incredibly well rated travel system! Woohoo! Super excited! I had to buy straight from Chicco, but in doing so, we got each for 30-40% off (and let me just say that one of my prime observations is that baby gear just doesn't go on major sale). The "premium" 2013 line actually cost less than if we had gone for the more basic line with fabrics that they continually produce! Sweet! I will totally take it!

Between Christmas, the baby shower, knowing Daniel's mom is bringing the crib and dresser up to us, and hitting the internet for savvy shopping while armed with my credit card, I feel MUCH better about actually having what we need! Whew! Once what I have ordered arrives, we will be down to needing just a few more key things (like a second car seat base for Daniel's car and some other medium price things). There is also a HUGE consignment sale coming up in the area in the next two weeks - so hopefully I can use that to fill out the areas that are missing! It's getting very exciting! Now it's time to actually put the nursery together! I've got several crafty projects I have been dreaming up for months now that I need to go ahead and dig into!

And last but not least - another highlight from the week? SNOW! We got a beautiful snowfall on Tuesday - probably at least seven inches! It snowed all day, Daniel worked from home, and while I was disappointed that I had to cancel the chiropractor and that yoga was cancelled, I really enjoyed my magical happy snow day with the puppies and my hubby. It snowed almost all day and by mid afternoon we were able to go outside for an epic round of play with the dogs as they frolicked and bounded through the snow. Chance loves playing rope in it and getting to slide to catch the ropes and Holly just loves everything about the snow. This snow fall was all light fluffy powder because it's been so cold (single digits to low 20's) and in the deepest drifts it goes up to Holly's chin - she has to bound like a little bunny to get around! So cute!!!

Daniel working from home - he moved up to the dining room because a) the basement is FREEZING and b) he could look out the window at all the snow!

Holly watching the snow fall - she's getting so long and lean!

I hesitate to share the picture, but must because of its sheer ridiculousness.  I donned my uber warm down coat...just laugh...I did.  

Oh hai!  Holly trying to keep up with Chance's speed!

Chance sliding in for the kill as he grabs one of his ropes

Chance is hard core

When Holly starts panting she has an awesome smile!  It's hard to capture - but ta da!

Too cute and funny not to share - I think she was mid head-shake on this one

Loving the snow

She's usually covered from head to toe by the time we head inside!

After the snowfall - our street - beautifully peaceful and quiet!


No comments: