Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

When to Tell People? And What Helped Me Wait...

Written around week 9-10

I have struggled with this one. I don't think telling people early will "jinx me" - I actually think that superstition is ridiculous. However...I do understand that some people perceive the news as being very private news, particularly if the pregnancy has a sad, devastating ending.

That said, if after trying for a year and getting pregnant we did have a miscarriage - it would be devastating and extra upsetting the next time someone asks when we are going to start a family already.

I have gone in circles - if we tell people early will they think we are being overly optimistic or foolish for sharing so quickly? But telling our friends and family also means that there would be support there for us if something sad does happen - because let's face it - every week that I continue to be pregnant and Baby Hals continues to grow I cannot help but to become increasingly excited and attached to the idea that some day I am going to get to snuggle with this little one.

I'm also not going to lie - in reality, I told a bunch of people!  But it was really fun because aside from parents and siblings and our immediate circle of friends we got to really enjoy telling people very organically as it naturally came up in conversation or when a close friend messaged us out of the blue to chat.  Each week we added a few people to our circle.  It made it increasingly exciting and in many ways it was really fun that we got to enjoy slowly telling people one by one for as long as we did. 

And the day I told my grandparents and all of my mother's sisters, I may have chosen not to warn mom ahead of the ambush!  (And kept cracking up when I thought of her suddenly juggling an onslaught of calls!) And my Aunt Betsy is convinced that I must consider naming the baby Diblet.  Sigh. 

Maybe it is silly...I am an incredibly rational, logical person, so knowing the statistics and my chances of things going wrong was a must. I found this site to be a great help to me - as the days passed it really boosted my confidence and made me relax and feel more free to be more unguardingly happy about my pregnancy and our baby... As was expressed by Cameron Diaz's character in What to Expect When You're Expecting "information soothes me!" 

If you look at the statistics...you can see why at 8 weeks my confidence was up and why by 9 or so weeks I was bursting to make an official announcement!  But at that point I had an appointment scheduled at 11 weeks exactly - so it seemed silly to not just wait a few more days.  I decided then that once I heard a healthy heartbeat at that appointment is was public announcement time - and then I had a countdown to focus on! 


While the numbers in the beginning are very daunting, once you get down to single digits - it really was a very comforting countdown for me!  I am sure these stats aren't perfect - but it was something hopeful, yet realistic to focus on.
Knowing for weeks that the difference between the week I was in and reaching the second trimester was 1% was, well, awesome! 


No comments: