Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

38 weeks! Are we there yet?

38 Weeks! February 27th - March 5th, 2014

Baby Countdown! 2 weeks to go? Maybe? Maybe less maybe more? Who knows!

 

As I mentioned in the last post, while I have felt crummier as I progressed through the third trimester, I didn't really feel like I turned the corner to miserable until 37 weeks 6 days...and as I have weathered week 38 I would say I still feel the same way. I'm definitely feeling just downright craptastic. Still functional most days, but I'm exhausted and everything is achey and I can't help but to be a little grumpy. I had some pretty intense pubic symphysis pain this week to the extent that Daniel was designated full time dog walker for a day. But most days I've been able to walk them several times (and am today!)

 

My weekly checkup went pretty well - Hannah is still doing great, whether I feel great or not, so that's really all that matters. It's pretty real when your appointment ends with the doctor reminding you when you should call them or go to the hospital. Are we really there? Yes, yes we are!

38 Weeks!
38 Weeks!

Highlights of the week? Thursday we continued our House of Cards obsession with Meredith and the two of them (Meredith and Daniel) assembled more baby things and moved the rocking recliner from the basement up to the nursery! Friday night we met up with Meredith, Stephanie, and Brendyn to enjoy a trip to Georgetown Cupcakes (Mmmm!) and Seasons 52! We were super excited that everyone liked the restaurant - none of them had ever been, but we have created fans! And we celebrated Brendyn passing the final component of the CPA exam! Super exciting! I was really impressed with Seasons 52 as well - when we mentioned it to them they showed up with a complimentary champagne toast (and yes, an alternative pretty fizzy drink for me)!

 

Saturday was a lovely low key day with the husband - we both recognized it could be our last weekend evening together and enjoyed grabbing a bite to eat and coming back to watch Ender's Game. There was an excitement there that reminded me of the times when we try to soak it all in because we know things are changing. It's in moments like that that I know Daniel is excited too, even if he doesn't show it in the ways that I do.

We hadn't taken a couples picture in a while...somehow we thought this was funny. I've grown, Holly's grown, Daniel is hanging in there!

 

Sunday I decided to make Daniel's favorite meal (chicken enchiladas), which is a far more involved meal than some of the ones I make. I wanted to do what I could to make him feel special or fussed over given that we are heading into a rather long run of "hey take care of me and Hannah" time. Meredith came over to hang out and we may or may not have continued our HoC (house of cards) obsession. (Yes, we're addicted and loving Season 2!) Sunday morning we had also woken up with the realization that there was a storm coming that could a) have a barometric pressure drop that could trigger labor and b) during the heart of it before roads were cleared could impede my ability to get to the hospital. Yikes! Wasn't crazy nervous or freaking out, but I definitely was glad when I didn't suddenly have my water break in the hours that we had a big ole sheet of ice and ten inches of uncleared snow on the ground. By late Monday afternoon the roads were clear enough that we could have figured it out and the pups were happy frolicking in the powder!

She LOVES the snow! Day 11 post surgery and doing great!
Meredith - dog whisperer :)
Daniel definitely wanted to take a picture of me and my winter coat. Yep. Do you know how nice it will be to actually button a coat over my belly?

 

For Fat Tuesday I was hell bent on finding some King's Cake to devour...seemed pretty fitting. I've spent the past week oscillating between being excited and happy to being very discouraged and grumpy...and the rapidity at which I go between these emotions is crazy. I feel like rational Beth is standing off to the side shaking her head. I know it's the hormones, but I despise emotional roller coastering, most especially from myself.

 

Feel like I am on the verge of something so much bigger than me...something too large and magnificent to put into perspective. ...Every time I think I've wrapped my brain around what's coming up I realize I only have a fraction of the picture - it's just so huge!

 

Heading into week 38 I still had some lingering things on my to do list, but as I head into week 39 I have resolved them or they are minor things that can wait or more wish-list keep busy kind of items. I am trying to relish the last moments of my pregnancy (but at this point you really just aren't comfy and it's hard to relish feeling crappy), but I am trying to relish the one on one time with my puppies, husband, friends, the quiet, the calm, the ability to relax and do things at my own pace, and the squirms and movements from our little girl. But that said...I've been doing that for the past nine months! I am also ready for snuggles with our little Hannah and to really get our next adventure started!

My cute snuggle bums :)

 

 

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Did you find a King Cake? I've taken to making my own from scratch!

We're so excited for you guys!

Beth Hals said...

I found one at Wegmans! It was okay, but the ones from Publix that folks would bring to work at MCC were yummier. I think in the future I will be making my own. Hindsight!