Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

23 Weeks - The Baby Stole My Cape

23 weeks - November 14 - 20
So I have not officially had a "grocery store pregnant moment" yet (in which someone makes a comment to me regarding my pregnancy or tries to cop a feel), but I think the potential of that moment is become much more of a reality than it was just a few weeks ago. Not sure what happened between week 20 and 23, but I am definitely bigger. When Daniel got home from the Maldives the expression on his face when I took off my coat confirmed it. They say you "pop" - which is just a gross term to me, but I do think I reached the point where I am "showing" in a far more significant way!

Left picture - 20 weeks; Right picture 23 weeks - definitely a change!
My happy 23 weeks Thursday was an especially happy one. Daniel called and asked me to meet him for lunch and we enjoyed an amazingly delicious Italian meal (Italian food seems to be Baby Hals' favorite!), I managed to get a great buy one get one deal online for maternity shirts, then ventured into Starbucks in perfect time to coincide with their buy one get one holiday latte, got a letter from the health insurance company saying I was approved for the hospital where I am supposed to have Baby Hals - and at 100%!!!, had a great time at prenatal yoga and very much enjoyed chatting with other pregnant women, found out we had a showing for the house, and Daniel finally got to feel the baby kick! Talk about a kick ass day!

And the look on Daniel's face when he finally, distinctively felt her? It was the grin that has always melted my heart - so so worth the wait! :)
It has also gotten cold enough that we often tuck Chance in on the couch...which he likes so much he then tries to walk around the house with the blanket still on. Haha. Aww, Chance!

Other highlights of the week include the fact that every time I buckle myself into the car and look down to adjust the belt to make sure it's across my hips and under my belly I cannot help but burst out laughing! ...Where did all of that belly come from?!

What I like least about pregnancy so far is the fact that I cannot help but to feel like the baby took my cape. ...Let me explain. I know some people say that growing another human makes them feel all super woman and amazing. ...And while I am very grateful to physically feel as good as I do so far, in terms of my "withitness" or "togetherness" I feel like I am a mess. For me...before pregnancy I was the super woman who could get an tremendous amount done and juggle an amazing expanse of things, but since becoming pregnant I feel like the baby has stolen my cape and is chilling in it, all smirky and content while I am reduced to being merely average in the abilities department. Maybe that's ridiculous, but it really is how I feel. Instead of getting 20 things done in a day I feel like I can get 10. 15 at great sacrifice. And some days more like 5-8. Sigh. Now the whiny thing? Most people just do 5-10 things and are content, for me it's really a huge adjustment, but I'm trying to embrace it!
Smirky, super cape stealing Little Miss Hals becoming increasingly awesome as she bakes and zaps all of her mommy's super powers...

I've also found that I feel best overall when I'm active. Much of the time when I start moving things are kinda achey, but in working out on the elliptical or going for a walk with Chance, in the end it puts me closer to normal and I feel way better. However it continually feels like a very fine line between being active enough that my body feels best and not overdoing it. ...This might reinforce the "baby stole my cape" sentiments.

As for cravings? baby loves choc chip cookies and really anything chocolate! Seriously! It's kinda all I can think about this week - although I am using all ounces of will power to limit it to a small serving after dinner each day, but OMG I want chocolate! Oh, and Italian food. Baby Hals super likes Italian food. Yum! I am much happier trying to control portions than trying to forcibly make myself to eat (thank you second trimester!)

So to recap? We have a kicky baby that Daniel now has actually felt, the baby belly is on the rise (or expanse), and I am doing my best to stay active enough to feel great, but not so active that I overdo it and end up feeling miserable. 23 weeks and still feeling pretty great!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I 100% understand the "baby stole my cape"!!! I bet you'll be supermom in no time after she's born!