Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

December 31st – Darwin and Wolf and New Year’s Eve




The morning dives were at Darwin Island and were more excellent dives and  we were continually graced with breathtaking flocks of hammerheads.  During the second dive Daniel officially did it – he dove naked!  (which means without wetsuit, but he was actually wearing a swimsuit).  During the dive I felt like Daniel actually looked like he was skipping or frolicking through the water as he enjoyed the amazing freedom that comes with not having to wear a wetsuit.  He said he also felt so much more in control of his buoyancy because he could actually feel the water moving against his skin when he went up or down.  I hadn’t even thought of that – really the only way to know you are moving up or down is to watch your dive watch/depth gauge when wearing so many millimeters of neoprene.  
Out of the blue we would suddenly be able to make out not one, but dozens of hammerheads - how many can you count?  :)
This is Daniel and myself adventurously swimming into the bait ball and enjoying watching the fish all reroute around us.  (Gary's camera)
This is from Daniel's camera that he was holding - up close view of how cool it is to swim into a bait ball.

During the second dive (and final dive) at Darwin we dropped in amongst a pack of silky sharks and drifted down past them into waters that were full of a wall of hammerheads all swaggling by – I watched with childlike wonder, soaking in every second of it as I steadily drifted down surrounded by hundreds of hammerheads, again absolutely amazed.  Knowing it was my last dive at Darwin I tried to soak it all in even more – only to look down at my dive watch and realized woah I was already down to 90 feet and sinking.  Uhoh,  I thought – none of my other dives have been this deep and at a glance beneath me there was still plenty of blue to continue sinking down into.  I kicked and put some air in my BC and looked to my left – oops, I thought sheepishly – I had drifted down so slowly, enamored by the beautiful hammerhead fishbowl that I hadn’t realized my group had left – probably to swim to the rocky ledges which are more shallow (usually 60-80 feet).  I had a split second where I thought aww, I really don’t want to have to abort my last dive at Darwin because I have been separated!  I slowly looked in the direction I had last seen my fellow divers and made out a faint trace of bubbles and quickly beelined it to catch up with them and voila!  I was back with the group.  Ah.  No aborting the dive for me!  But I was lower on air through this dive then usual and had to try to keep it shallower than usual because I had chugged through a portion of my air kicking around at 90 feet.  (The lower you go the more compressed your air is, so when you breathe at greater depths you use up a higher percentage of your air than you would at say 30 feet than 90).  

Daniel loved the dive and seemed so happy and free in his “naked-ness” – we later found out he was the only person to dive in the Galapagos with no wet suit in 2012!  Go Daniel!

When we surfaced they took us over to get some quick pictures in front of Darwin’s arch, which is really a stunning chunk of rock.  There were cute sea lions hanging out at its base and more red footed boobies swooping all around.  

For some reason or another I did not feel too hot today.  I woke up a little queasy and skipped lunch to stay out in the fresh air as I dealt with a round of sea sickness.  I didn’t physically get sick, I just felt pretty bad and I sat on the back of the boat watching the horizon as I watched Darwin Island and Darwin’s Arch slowly disappear out of view and then fell into a nap.  When I woke up I felt awesome.  

The third dive was back at Wolf Island at a site called Landslide – in which the topography includes lots of rocks from a landslide on the island in which rocks crumbled away from Wolf’s steep cliffs.  On this dive, which was colder than Darwin, we saw mating sea turtles, some packs of hammerheads sweeping through – I tried to enjoy each one in case it was my last, a huge stone fish – the biggest one any of us had ever seen – it was several feet long!, a white tip shark, a Galapagos shark, a big beautiful eagle ray, and beautiful Dr. Zeuss style coral gardens.  It was a nice dive.

That evening we enjoyed watching the last sunset of 2012 with Daniel’s dad, Hannah, Bobby, Lorie, and Bob and actual saw (and captured on camera) the fabled green flash that can be seen as the sun sets on a smooth horizon at sea – it was so cool!  (I had never actually seen it happen before!)  What a way to end the year!

Dinner was an amazing New Year’s Eve feast with the best turkey I have ever eaten in my life and a carved zucchini penguin!  We enjoyed another cake, a gift from the crew (that is a very pretty hammerhead statue/token) and enjoyed a champagne toast to celebrate the new year.  Don’t make fun of us – diving is tiring! – but we declared 8 pm the celebratory midnight and counted down with Paul’s watch which was synced to the atomic clock.  We counted down, cheered, toasted, and went to bed.  :)

Click the image below for pictures!
December 31st - New Years Eve Diving at Darwin and Wolf

No comments: