Pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

We made it to Athens!

Our evening view as we enjoyed an amazing dinner
The beautiful Acropolis!!!


We made it! 

Our photographer missed the idea of getting the Acropolis in, but I really like this picture anyway

Well, I am proud to announce that we survived our layovers and flights and have both enjoyed and endured (considering we arrived in Athens at 3 am our time) our first day! By the time we got through immigration, baggage claim, the metro, and checked in we were all very hungry, and by the time we enjoyed a fantastically delicious lunch (of fresh salads, breads, olive oil and vinegar, spinach and feta pie, souvlaki, and more), we only have a little over an hour before the historical-payment-required sites closed (winter hours), we spent the remainder of the day wandering the city. We walked around the base of the acropolis to some of the great lookouts and also around the Ancient Agora, through the markets of Monastiraki, and through Plaka, we had already soaked in the fact that we really were in Athens. Daniel, Emily, and I ended our evening on our own as the rest of the Hals headed back for showers and bed, with a light dinner underneath the glow of the acropolis amongst olive trees and candle lit tables, laughing and getting geared up for a weak of craziness with the Hals clan!

1 comment:

Chris Dunkel said...

Hey! I'm glad you guys made it safe, and didn't have any airline snafus. I'd tell you about all the fun we're having here in Florida, but I don't want to make you jealous ;). I hope you're having a good second day in Athens, and keep the pictures coming!
:)