Pages

Friday, July 3, 2009

Phillip Island – Friday 03 July 2009

I try to squeeze every ounce of good out of my vacations. But some days really just don't go as planned. Today was kinda one of them. The penguins were really awesome, but everything else was...well...

1. We woke up early, packed, and as we were ready to leave Daniel discovered he couldn’t find his wallet. After much searching I found it in his backpack – but he had already headed out in the car to search the restaurant which was the last place we had been last night and used it… and disappeared fora good forty-five to sixty minutes of hard core searching before returning to the hotel to discover I'd found it...oh if only for cell phones...

2. We had a 3.5 to 4 hour drive to Phillip Island. And I’m getting a little tired of being a passenger in a car. At least today was a lot of straight roads, but I’m getting a little antsy.

3. We arrived at Phillip Island and were all excited to see nice clear (still cold), but sunny weather, only to learn that our Seal Rocks boat tour was cancelled. Rough seas from high winds. Boo. I was really excited about seeing the seal-ies.

4. I was really excited about this hotel and it’s a complete opposite of what I expected…which happens very rarely. But it’s not a great one and I’m bummed. Okay…it’s pretty crappy.

5. We indulged in a tourist trap. It was a really bad tourist trap. But! We did go out and see the penguins! And we had great seats!!! The fairy penguins came up out of the water in “rafts” (groups) of 20-40 penguins…we saw four or five rafts of penguins come up on shore and waddle up the beach and past our seats where they then split directions – some going up the penguin-worn path hill to their different cubby holes, others up the main path to find other cubbies. They move pretty fast when they want to! Some took their time and even stopped in the spot light and groomed themselves. It was really neat and we were really glad Daniel splurged and got the “Penguin Plus seats” (eye roll on the tourist trap again). Kristina, you really would have loved it (minus that absolutely freezing part), they were really cute when they waddled up!!!

6. It was realllly cold and they don’t let you take pictures/video. We snuck a few, but still. Boo.

So today had ups and downs…it wouldn’t be as big a deal if it wasn’t the second to the last day of the trip – we woke up wanting to make the most of it, and things kept fizzling out on us… but tomorrow’s another day – hopefully a great one! We’ve had an awesome trip too! It’s just always a bummer when the things you anticipate aren’t quite what you expected.

Tomorrow we’re off to Melbourne and then we’re flying home!!! We leave at 10 am from Melbourne, Australia on July 5th and then gain our day back as we arrive in LA around 7 am on July 5th and arrive in Orlando around 5:45 pm on July 5th and hopefully make it back to OUR Melbourne by 7 pm on...again, July 5th… our July 5th is going to be like forty hours long!

We’re flying Melbourne to Melbourne! (close enough). We’ll post lots of photos once we return home. Happy Fourth of July to everyone – enjoy some fireworks for us!

Cheers!

No comments: